Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pastitsio for the first time

The only meat I had  in my freezer was turkey mince and these recipes are few and far between unless your looking for Christmas. I decided to opt to changing lamb mince for the turkey since it is a healthy option and very low in fat I cook turkey quite often but usually in lasagna. The boys loved the Pastitsio dish that I found, I had never cooked this before but I would say it reminded me of the Greek's version of Lasagna! It was definitely a hit with Nath even saying it was nicer than my lasagna, this is Nathan's favourite so I will definitely be trying this again soon!

Pastitsio

Ingredients
2 tablespoons of oil
2 cloves of garlic crushed
1 teaspoon of chili ( I added this to the recipe)
750g Turkey mince
800g can chopped tomatoes
140g tomato paste
1 cup white wine ( you can add a little to the dish if you like, Joking!)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano ( I used fresh, always nicer if you have it on hand)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
500g macaroni pasta
180g butter
1 cup of plain flour
100ml of cream
3 1/2 cups of milk
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups of tasty cheese

Step 1: preheat oven to 180c. Grease baking dish. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat, add garlic, onion and chili cook until onion is tender. Add mince and cook, at this point I added some salt and pepper. Break up with wooden spoon and cook until browned

Step 2: Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, basil, oregano and cinnamon. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until thick

Step 3: Cook pasta in a large saucepan until tender. Drain and set aside

Step 4: Melt butter over high heat. Add flour and cook for a minute. Remove from heat, slowly add cream and milk, stirring constantly. Return to heat stirring constantly until sauce comes to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Cool for ten minutes and stir in eggs and cheese.

Step 5: Spoon meat and pasta mixture into prepared dish. Pour cheese sauce over mixture and spread evenly. Bake for 40 minutes covered with foil and then a remaining 20 minutes witl foil removed.

I loved this dish. It is nice as a hearty winter recipe or in summer with a side salad. So delicious I will be trying this one again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment